MIT News – Data | Big data | Analytics | Statistics | IDSS | Operations research MIT news feed about: Data | Big data | Analytics | Statistics | IDSS | Operations research
- Researchers discover major roadblock in alleviating network congestionby Adam Zewe | MIT News Office on 4.8.2022 at 04:00
Algorithms designed to ensure multiple users share a network fairly can’t prevent some users from hogging all the bandwidth.
- Emma Gibson: Optimizing health care logistics in Africaby Rachel Yang | MIT News correspondent on 28.7.2022 at 04:00
The PhD student seeks to improve patient care by helping facilities use their limited resources more effectively.
- A technique to improve both fairness and accuracy in artificial intelligenceby Adam Zewe | MIT News Office on 20.7.2022 at 04:00
Methods that make a machine-learning model’s predictions more accurate overall can reduce accuracy for underrepresented subgroups. A new approach can help.
- Costis Daskalakis appointed inaugural Avanessians Professor in the MIT Schwarzman College of Computingby MIT Schwarzman College of Computing on 15.7.2022 at 17:35
Professor of electrical engineering and computer science will receive additional support to advance his research and career.
- MIT welcomes eight MLK Visiting Professors and Scholars for 2022-23by Beatriz Cantada | Institute Community and Equity Office on 14.7.2022 at 18:55
Martin Luther King Jr. Visiting Professors and Scholars will enhance and enrich the MIT community through engagement with students and faculty.
- The Download: corruption in China’s chip sector and VR’s psychedelic experimentsby Rhiannon Williams on 8.8.2022 at 12:10
This is today’s edition of The Download, our weekday newsletter that provides a daily dose of what’s going on in the world of technology. Corruption is sending shock waves through China’s chipmaking industry The news: China’s chipmaking industry has descended into chaos, with at least four top executives associated with a state-owned semiconductor fund recently arrested on…
- VR is as good as psychedelics at helping people reach transcendenceby Hana Kiros on 6.8.2022 at 11:00
Fifteen years ago, David Glowacki was walking in the mountains when he took a sharp fall. When he hit the ground, blood began leaking into his lungs. As he lay there suffocating, Glowacki’s field of perception swelled. He peered down at his own body—and, instead of his typical form, saw that he was made up…
- Corruption is sending shock waves through China’s chipmaking industryby Zeyi Yang on 5.8.2022 at 20:17
China’s chipmaking industry descended into chaos last week, with at least four top executives associated with a state-owned semiconductor fund arrested on corruption charges. It’s an explosive turn of events that could force the country to fundamentally rethink how it invests in chip development, according to analysts and experts. On July 30, China’s top anticorruption…
- The Download: experimental embryos and the US monkeypox emergencyby Rhiannon Williams on 5.8.2022 at 12:10
This is today’s edition of The Download, our weekday newsletter that provides a daily dose of what’s going on in the world of technology. This startup wants to copy you into an embryo for organ harvesting In a search for novel forms of longevity medicine, a biotech company based in Israel says it intends to create embryo-stage…
- Automated techniques could make it easier to develop AIby Tammy Xu on 5.8.2022 at 11:00
Machine-learning researchers make many decisions when designing new models. They decide how many layers to include in neural networks and what weights to give inputs at each node. The result of all this human decision-making is that complex models end up being “designed by intuition” rather than systematically, says Frank Hutter, head of the machine-learning…
Techmeme Tech Web, page A1
- Google files two lawsuits against Sonos, alleging it infringed on seven patents related to smart speakers and voice control, as part of the long-running dispute (Jacob Kastrenakes/The Verge)on 8.8.2022 at 12:35
Jacob Kastrenakes / The Verge: Google files two lawsuits against Sonos, alleging it infringed on seven patents related to smart speakers and voice control, as part of the long-running dispute — After Sonos won in court earlier this year — Google is striking back at Sonos with a pair of lawsuits alleging …
- Apptopia: Netflix’s games have 23.3M total downloads and average 1.7M DAUs, less than 1% of its subscribers; Netflix plans to reach 50 games by the end of 2022 (Jack Stebbins/CNBC)on 8.8.2022 at 12:10
Jack Stebbins / CNBC: Apptopia: Netflix’s games have 23.3M total downloads and average 1.7M DAUs, less than 1% of its subscribers; Netflix plans to reach 50 games by the end of 2022 — – Netflix plans to expand its video game catalog from 24 to 50 by year-end, marking a significant investment.
- Vista Equity Partners plans to acquire Seattle-based automated tax compliance software maker Avalara for $8.4B in an all-cash deal (Paul Sawers/TechCrunch)on 8.8.2022 at 11:50
Paul Sawers / TechCrunch: Vista Equity Partners plans to acquire Seattle-based automated tax compliance software maker Avalara for $8.4B in an all-cash deal — Global investment giant Vista Equity Partners has announced plans to acquire automated tax compliance software provider Avalara, in an all-cash deal worth $8.4 billion.
- Filings: Apple spent $33M in fiscal 2021 and $169M in 2022 to date on acquisition payments, down from $1.5B in fiscal 2020, as its dealmaking slows dramatically (Mark Gurman/Bloomberg)on 8.8.2022 at 11:45
Mark Gurman / Bloomberg: Filings: Apple spent $33M in fiscal 2021 and $169M in 2022 to date on acquisition payments, down from $1.5B in fiscal 2020, as its dealmaking slows dramatically — Apple Inc., which used to acquire a company every three or four weeks, has dramatically slowed its dealmaking in the past two years …
- Palantir reports Q2 revenue rose 26% YoY to $473M and customers rose 250% YoY to 119; stock drops 14%+ on weak Q3 guidance and uncertainty over government deals (Ashley Capoot/CNBC)on 8.8.2022 at 11:40
Ashley Capoot / CNBC: Palantir reports Q2 revenue rose 26% YoY to $473M and customers rose 250% YoY to 119; stock drops 14%+ on weak Q3 guidance and uncertainty over government deals — – Palantir reported second-quarter results Monday that showed a loss per share compared with projections for earnings, but the company beat revenue expectations.
SAP News Center Company & Customer Stories | Press Room
- In-House Venture Program Paves Way for SAP’s Future Portfolioby Susanna Havranek on 8.8.2022 at 12:15
Following a rigorous selection process, two new ventures received funding earlier this year as part of SAP.iO Venture Studio.
- SAP AppHaus Network Holds 2022 Meetupby Katharina Hoeschele on 5.8.2022 at 11:15
After three years of collaborating virtually, SAP AppHaus Network partners came together to share ideas and test new innovation methods.
- Code Unnati: Inspiring Bright Futures through Digital Inclusionby Gunjan Patel on 5.8.2022 at 07:00
Code Unnati by SAP India CSR aims to impart digital literacy among adolescents, citizens, and children in addition to employable IT skills among youth.
- Employee Trust: The Key to a Successful Strategy for Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belongingby Amy Wilson on 4.8.2022 at 12:15
By rethinking when and how to ask for data, organizations can gain a clearer sense of their workforce and how they can continuously improve their experiences surrounding DEIB.
- The Take: Tennessee’s Tragedy Underscores the Need for Advanced Technology to Rebuild U.S. Infrastructureby SAP News on 3.8.2022 at 15:31
Recent weather disasters renewed attention to the condition of roads and bridges across the U.S.
InsideSAP The Independent Resource for SAP Professionals
- See Qlik Data Integration and Analytics in Action with AWSby The Team at InsideSAP on 8.8.2022 at 00:34
Learn how you can automate continuous delivery of real-time, analytics-ready data into AWS Data Warehouses or Data Lakes and make it easily accessible through a governed catalogue. Request a demo and talk with our solution experts, and learn how you can do more with Qlik and AWS, including: Real-time data for analytics in AWS Automated SAP data analytics The post See Qlik Data Integration and Analytics in Action with AWS appeared first on InsideSAP.
- SAP AppHaus Fosters Community of SAP Partners for Innovationby Leah Alibangbang on 5.8.2022 at 12:24
The SAP AppHaus Network is a carefully-selected community of SAP partners that have proven themselves to be focused on innovation and creativity. Composed of designers, domain specialists, design thinking experts and enterprise architects, the network leverages its multi-disciplinary skills and capabilities to create an environment where new ideas can flourish. The SAP AppHaus Network is The post SAP AppHaus Fosters Community of SAP Partners for Innovation appeared first on InsideSAP.
- PNC Financial Services Group Inc., Venues NSW Boost Qualtrics Q2 Financialsby Andrea Hilao on 4.8.2022 at 08:10
PNC Financial Services Group Inc., Merck KGaA, Venues NSW, and Tata Digital are some of Qualtrics’ remarkable customer wins in the second quarter of 2022. Echoing SAP’s stellar cloud revenue in Q2, SAP-owned Qualtrics has also announced its outstanding financial results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2022, with total revenue hitting $356.4M, an The post PNC Financial Services Group Inc., Venues NSW Boost Qualtrics Q2 Financials appeared first on InsideSAP.
- SAP Innovation Center Network Collaborates with TUMO Labsby Leah Alibangbang on 3.8.2022 at 13:52
The SAP Innovation Center Network is an initiative that centers on the exploration of different innovative technologies through use cases. As SAP strives to provide customers with the smart solutions they need, it understands that innovation is an ongoing process that requires not only curiosity and determination but also inventive ideas and dynamic thinking. TUMO The post SAP Innovation Center Network Collaborates with TUMO Labs appeared first on InsideSAP.
- Santander CIB Joins SAP Multi-Bank Connectivityby Andrea Hilao on 1.8.2022 at 05:17
The Santander CIB- SAP collaboration is centered on driving global transaction banking digitization as well as enhancement of management and decarbonization of activities related to the supply chain leveraging cutting–edge solutions including SAP Multi-Bank Connectivity. Santander Corporate & Investment Banking (Santander CIB), the global division of Spanish multinational financial services company Santander, has established a The post Santander CIB Joins SAP Multi-Bank Connectivity appeared first on InsideSAP.
Wired The latest from www.wired.com
- The Panasonic Lumix GH6 Lets You Film on the Flyby Eric Ravenscraft on 8.8.2022 at 12:00
In-body stabilization and thoughtfully designed controls make this workhorse a great choice for in-the-field photographers and filmmakers.
- How Clean is ‘Clean’ Hydrogen?by Gregory Barber on 8.8.2022 at 11:00
Batteries and renewable energy alone can’t decarbonize industries, and recent proposals for a “hydrogen economy” could bridge those gaps.
- A Suspected Killer’s Fans Are Still Promoting Him Onlineby Vittoria Elliott on 8.8.2022 at 11:00
After a local politician and two others were gunned down in the Philippines, posts supporting the suspect continue to gain traction on social media.
- What to Know About 988, the New Suicide and Crisis Lifelineby Reece Rogers on 8.8.2022 at 11:00
Americans can call or text this number if they or someone they know needs a counselor to listen or point them to additional resources.
- Crypto and the US Government Are Headed for a Decisive Showdownby Gilad Edelman on 8.8.2022 at 11:00
A crop of lawsuits could finally settle the question of whether most digital assets are illegal securities offerings.
The 360 Blog from Salesforce Learn how to get ahead of trends and supercharge professional relationships
- Worried About Losing Employees? Better Mentoring Could Helpby lee.l on 5.8.2022 at 13:20
Mentoring is the best tool we have for connecting a virtual workforce and helping underrepresented employees gain connection and community in the workplace.
- 3 Ways to Build More Trust With Customersby abendersky on 4.8.2022 at 14:00
Marketing guru Seth Godin and Salesforce vice president and global innovation evangelist Brian Solis offer their take on how to build customer trust.
- 5 Ways to Identify and Promote Your Transferable Military Skills in the Salesforce Ecosystemby kbayer on 4.8.2022 at 13:59
From British Royal Military Police to Golden Hoodie recipient: Discover how Trailblazer Jonathan Fox landed his dream job in tech and helped other veterans and military spouses realize their potential within the Trailblazer Community.
- Bots Coming For Your Job? Don’t Fret – Your Humanity Is Your Strengthby brian.costa on 4.8.2022 at 00:11
Does it feel like robots are coming for your job? That doesn’t necessarily have to be the case. There is one thing that always differentiates us: our humanity.
- There Are Many Futures of Work — Which One Are You Creating?by lee.l on 3.8.2022 at 13:39
The nature of work is changing in profound ways. We can help you identify the best path for your business.